About OpenAI: Company Overview
OpenAI was launched in 2015 in California, USA. One of the founders of OpenAI was Elon Musk, the current CEO of Twitter!
Now, let's have a look at a key data about OpenAI:
Source: OpenAI, LinkedIn, The Information
Some Amazing Facts About OpenAI
- In July 2019 OpenAI accepted a $1 billion investment from Microsoft.
- In December 2015, Elon Musk, Sam Altman, and other investors announced the formation of OpenAI and pledged over US$1 billion to the venture
- While Microsoft has OpenAI, through its parent company Alphabet, Google has benefitted greatly from DeepMind's acquisition
- The OpenAI Startup Fund revealed that it led a $23.5 million investment in Mem
- Elon Musk decided to exit OpenAI, an artificial intelligence research group, over disagreements about the company's development
- The typical OpenAI compensation for a member of the technical staff ranges from about $191,358 per year to $191,358 per year.
- In September 2020, Microsoft purchased an exclusive license to immediately incorporate GPT-3 into its own products.
- Microsoft became the sole and exclusive cloud provider of OpenAI products in 2019 thanks to a $1 billion investment in OpenAI.
- OpenAI's researchers showed that with enough parameters and training data, a single deep learning model could perform several tasks without the need for retraining
Source: Analytics India Mag, BNN Bloomberg, Glassdoor, The Verge, OpenAI
At the beginning of 2021, OpenAI was valuated as $260 million. You can see the huge glow-up in 2022, as it was evaluated at about $20 billion.
While nobody can know 100% what's next for OpenAI in the future, one thing is sure: their future is definitely promising.
Source: The Information, Techcrunch
OpenAI was at its peak in 2018, having revenue worth $49,968,631. Though, revenue went as low as $3 million in 2020, leaving a huge gap.
Talking about profit, OpenAI saw the best days in 2019, when it reached $28,599,812, but gone to darker days in 2020, at only $9,508,759 in profit.
ChatGPT Net Worth (Valuation)
OpenAI, the company who made ChatGPT reached the net worth figure of $29 billion USD.
Considering their great successes, ChatGPT's net worth might go even higher in the following years!
ChatGPT: Number of users
According to reports, ChatGPT, an AI application, had one million users within 5 days after its launch in November of last year.
However, it is thought that the user base has passed the 100 million mark somewhere between January and February 2023.
Is ChatGPT growing faster than TikTok?
In the course of only a few weeks, ChatGPT's popularity grew faster than TikTok's when it was launched. ChatGPT and TikTok alone count over 1 billion users.
Multiple sources all over the internet confirm this — and it's not just them! In fact, hundreds of thousands of students found ChatGPT and spread the word about it.
Fun fact: If you ask ChatGPT whether it is growing faster than TikTok or not, it will refuse to compare itself to TikTok since the apps serve different purposes.
The image above shows ChatGPT's response to your question.
Is ChatGPT the fastest growing website?
With an estimate, ChatGPT was considered to be the fastest growing website in January 2023.
Though, there is no precise source to 100% confirm this information, as it is just speculation. Considering ChatGPT's rise in popularity, this could be believed!
ChatGPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) is a chatbot, launched by OpenAI in November 2022.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT was introduced as a prototype. It soon gained popularity for its thorough responses and clear responses in a variety of subject areas.
It is constructed on top of the OpenAI GPT-3 family of big language models, and it is polished using supervised and reinforcement learning methods (a method of transfer learning).
Furthermore, OpenAI continues to collect data from ChatGPT users, which could be used to train and fine-tune ChatGPT.
ChatGPT was fine-tuned on top of GPT-3.5 using both supervised and reinforcement learning.
Human trainers were used in both approaches to improve the model's performance. In the case of supervised learning, the model was fed conversations in which the trainers took on the roles of both the user and the AI assistant.
In the reinforcement step, human trainers ranked responses generated by the model in a previous conversation.
How does ChatGPT work?
ChatGPT is based on the original GPT3 model, but it has been trained further by using human feedback to guide the learning process, with the specific goal of mitigating the model's misalignment issues.
The technique employed, known as Reinforcement Learning from Human Feedback, is based on prior academic research. ChatGPT is the first example of this technique being used on a production model.
It can generate humanlike text and has a wide range of applications, including language translation, language modeling, and text generation for chatbots. With 175 billion parameters, it is one of the largest and most powerful language-processing AI models to date.
Source: Science Focus, Assembly AI
How do I access ChatGPT?
It's quite easy to use the ChatGPT chatbot because all you have to do is enter your text to get the information. However, in order to utilize any of OpenAI's tools, you must first create an account, so if you don't already have one, you must do so.
How does ChatGPT generate text?
GPT-2 uses the input text to establish the initial context before generating additional text.
An input string can be as short as a few words or as long as 1024 tokens at the most. A model is given more subject context the longer the initial input is.
Longer inputs typically result in more coherent text output.
Source: Sage Maker
Is ChatGPT an app or a website?
No, ChatGPT isn't an app — it is a website, which makes it an online app. Though, this is different than an app of its own which you can download.
To access ChatGPT's online app, you must create a new account at chat.openai.com if you don't already have one.
If You can log in to chat.openai.com directly using the same login credentials if you already have an account at labs.openai.com or beta.openai.com.
Source: Open AI
Can ChatGPT be downloaded?
No, ChatGPT cannot be downloaded — you can only access it on the website.
There is no ChatGPT app to download, and this also answers the question "Is ChatGPT safe to download?".
How much does running ChatGPT cost?
Running ChatGPT costs $100,000 a day.
This information is provided by OpenAI, the founders of ChatGPT.
What can I do with ChatGPT?
ChatGPT can generate text in the form of short stories, poetry, songs, and even code.
More than a million users registered to use ChatGPT within the first five days of its public launch.
ChatGPT can be used to generate an article or book-length outlines. Because of its ability to follow instructions, ChatGPT is transformed from a source of information to a tool that can be used to complete a task.
Almost any assignment that can be answered in writing will receive a response. As a result, it can be used to write an essay on almost any subject.
ChatGPT can be used:
- To write a customized resume and cover letter
- To create original jokes
- To find explanations of complex topics
- To solve tricky math problems step-by-step
- To get relationship advice
- To write music in almost any genre
- To write, debug, and explain code
- To create content in multiple languages
- To prepare for a job interview
- To write essays on almost any topic
- As a chat companion
Source: Search Engine Journal, MOU
Is there any ChatGPT app?
To enjoy your chatbot AI personal assistant on mobile.
With the Chat GPT for Android app, you can also benefit from improved features and a more effective and pleasurable chat experience.
Open Chat provides an iOS AI assistant chatbot app that uses the OpenAI GPT-3 API and can provide any GPT-3 powered search, conversation, text completion, and other cutting-edge AI features on your iPhone and iPad.
Source: Apps Apple, Play Google
What do businesses stand to gain from ChatGPT?
Companies that wisely utilize technology might benefit greatly from tools like ChatGPT.
By automating operations that are typically done by people, systems like ChatGPT have the potential to increase productivity and efficiency in a range of corporate scenarios.
In general, ChatGPT can be helpful for any circumstance where you must produce natural-sounding text based on input data.
Businesses can automate numerous operations traditionally carried out by people and significantly reduce response times by using ChatGPT technology to produce responses for their own customer care chatbots.
Although ChatGPT is a relatively new technology, its capabilities are probably going to keep developing and getting better over time.
OpenAI: Number of employees
In 2016, OpenAI had only 6 people working for the company. Fast-forward to 2022, there are over 335 employees at OpenAI.
Source: Crunchbase, Craft, OpenAI, Pitchbook
What is the salary range of OpenAI Employees?
Openai pays an average salary of $102,496 and salaries range from a low of $90,220 to a high of $115,177.
OpenAI Funding History
OpenAI has raised a total of $1B in funding over 4 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Jan 1, 2021, from a Venture - Series Unknown round.
OpenAI has made 2 investments. Their most recent investment was on Nov 7, 2022, when EdgeDB raised $15M.
Who are the Top OpenAI Investors?
OpenAI is funded by 8 investors. Bedrock Capital and Sequoia Capital are the most recent investors.
OpenAI Users Demographic Stats
Now's the time to look at data about OpenAI's users, and generally, the usage of OpenAI. Let's get at it!
OpenAI Users Distribution by Gender
- 71.71% male
- 28.29% female
OpenAI Users by Age
OpenAI's most popular user age group is 25-34, covering over 34% of their users. Then, there's the 18-24 user group, with 30.45% of the total users.
Top Five Countries with the most traffic to OpenAI
There isn't really one main country that uses OpenAI, but the USA has the largest portion of users: 21.6% of OpenAI's users are from the US.
After the USA, Germany covers 3.4% of the whole users.
With that being said, we should note that 59.1% of OpenAI's users are from many countries all around the globe.
What is OpenAI used for?
OpenAI is a non-profit research company that aims to develop and direct artificial intelligence (AI) in ways that benefit humanity as a whole.
Source: Tech Target
How Does OpenAI work?
OpenAI is an Artificial Intelligence (AI) research laboratory and company. They've created various AI-powered programs and machine learning algorithms that allow computers to do all sorts of things like creating images from text or making a robot hand that solves Rubik's Cubes.
OpenAI Growing Popularity among AI Startups throughout the Years
Considering of all the AI startups, OpenAI managed to be at the top of the list. They've had be one 319,000 numbers of search by AI startups in 2022!
We can definitely note that AI is one of sought-after, and there's money to be made.
Source: Meet Glimpse
How many AI Developers use OpenAI?
- OpenAI DALL-E has more than three million (3,000,000), active developers, using the model to train algorithms.
- OpenAI Debate Game has more than 600 participants in 2022
- OpenAI Gym has more than 923 active developers using the model to train robots.
How many Nodes does GPT-3 have?
GPT-3 has 96 layers and 175 billion nodes (weights or parameters) arranged in various ways as part of the transformer model.
Source: AI Stack Exchange
How many Parameters does GPT-3 have?
About 175 billion ML parameters make up the deep learning neural network used in GPT-3. To put things in perspective, Microsoft's Turing NLG model, which has 10 billion parameters, was the largest learned language model before GPT-3. GPT-3 will be the biggest neural network ever created as of early 2021.
Source: Tech Target
How many Neurons does GPT-3 have?
GPT-3's deep learning neural network is a model with over 175 billion machine learning parameters. To put things to scale, the largest trained language model before GPT-3 was Microsoft's Turing NLG model, which had 10 billion parameters. As of early 2021, GPT-3 is the largest neural network ever produced.
Source: Tech Target
Is GPT-3 OpenAI open to the Public?
Yes, anyone can access the GPT-3. The Platform is open to the public.
Source: Towards Data Science
Is OpenAI Free?
You are awarded an initial credit worth $18 when you create an OpenAI account. That $18 should last you a very long time because the AI only costs roughly six cents for 4000 characters created. The free credits expire after three months. If you reach that time limit (or if you use them all up before then), you'll have to contact OpenAI's sales staff to purchase additional.
Source: Business Insider
Which Countries and Territories are supported by OpenAI?
OpenAI is available worldwide except in some countries.
Countries and Territories Where OpenAI are Not supported
Source: Harish Garg
How does OpenAI Make Money?
- OpenAI makes money from two different revenue streams. These are API fees and token fees.
- API Fees - Whenever a user signs up on OpenAI’s website and creates an account, they are provided with $18 of free tokens that are valid for up to three months. If the tokens expire or get used up, new tokens must be purchased. Currently, OpenAI follows a pay-as-you-go system.
- Token Fees - To use OpenAI’s DALL.E text-to-image converter, users need tokens. Each user is given 50 credits during their first month, and 15 free credits for each month after that. One credit can be used for one prompt, to generate four images.
How does ChatGPT Generate Income?
OpenAI uses ChatGPT to generate income by monthly subscriptions.
Users pay $20/month to access ChatGPT, not $42/month as rumours said in January 2023.
What Type of AI Tool does OpenAI offer?
The majority of OpenAI's research products (tools) focus on reinforcement learning.
Source: Github, DebateGame, OpenAI, TowardsDataScience
How many apps were developed using OpenAI GPT-3 in the first year after it was released to the Public?
More than 300 applications were developed using GPT-3 in the first nine months.
How many words were generated per day using GPT-3 OpenAI in 2021?
OpenAI generated more than 4.5 billion words per day in 2021.
How many words were trained using GPT-3 per day in 2021?
GPT-3 has trained on 500 billion words. That's nearly ten thousand years of continuous speech at about 100 words per minute.
How long can it take to train GPT-3?
In general, training time for GPT-3 models is proportional to the number of GPUs. Training a 1.3B model on 1B tokens takes 7.1 hours on a single node (8xA100) and 30 minutes on a cluster of 16 nodes (128xA100).
Source: Mosaic ML
Who are the top 10 AI developers who created world-class GPT-3-powered applications in 2021?
- HTML Layout Generator by Sharif Shameem
- ‘Designer’ plugin for Figma by Jordan Singer
- Ask me anything Search Engine by Paras Chopra
- Machine Learning code generator by Matt Shumer
- Chart generator by Plotly
- Python code-generating chatbot by Joseph
- Write this like an attorney by Francis Jervis
- Quick Response by OthersideAI
- Balance sheet generator by Yash Dani
- Spreadsheet value generation by Paul Katsen
What are the Top Business Applications Powered by OpenAI GPT-3?
Basically, GPT-3 powered applications aim to automate the workload for better productivity.
Some of the applications include:
- Algolia - is the best search and discovery platform for a business while empowering Builders to build top-notch experiences. It provides consumers seamless access to product catalogues through this AI model of OpenAI, GPT-3.
- MessageBird - offers an omnichannel communications platform with the integration of a GPT-3 powered tool. It helps to enhance every interaction while optimizing authentications and video meetings for marketing and sales.
- Debuild.co - is one of the top GPT-3 powered apps to help in building website apps efficiently and effectively. It helps to generate SQL code and assemble an interface visually all in one click. It leverages this AI model to create an autonomous system for writing software at the level of the most skilled engineers.
- Tabulate - leverages the AI model known as GPT-3 to combine industry accounting professionals with proprietary technology for delivering the best financial back-office service. It offers bookkeeping, payroll, analytics, accounts payable, tax preparation, and many more.
- CopyAI - is well-known as a GPT-3 powered tool to automate creativity tools and generate marketing copies within a short period of time efficiently. Businesses can use this AI model for digital ad copy, social media content, website copy, eCommerce copy, blog content, and sales copy.
- AI Channel - is one of the top GPT-3 powered apps and a social network platform for allowing collaboration with artificial intelligence agents. It helps companies or individuals to have a conversation with the AI model to understand natural language. The AI Channel app interface is like a messaging application UI including a directory of different conversations.
- Snazzy AI - is known for providing the simplest way to create content with GPT-3. Multiple services include creating landing pages, copywriting, Google Ads, and many more with just three clicks.
- Writesonic - is one of the well-known GPT-3 powered apps to boost the website SEO for generating more traffic. This AI model generates high-quality articles, emails, blogs, landing pages, and many more within a short period of time.
- Grok - is a popular GPT-3 powered tool that utilizes the advanced AI model known as GPT-3 to summarize the on-demand and daily digest of subscribed channels. It can summarize the last 30 messages in any Slack channel with the Grok Conversation Summary.
- Otherside AI - offers HyperWrite which is one of the top GPT-3 powered applications as the most powerful document editor to compose beautiful content within a few minutes. It leverages the most advanced AI model to write content efficiently and effectively. This GPT-3 powered tool helps to modify texts as longer, shorter, casual, formal, and many more.
Source: Analytics Insight
OpenAI Founder Net Worth
Sam Altman is an entrepreneur, programmer, investor and blogger who has a net worth of $200 million. He is best known as the CEO of the artificial intelligence research laboratory OpenAI, and the former president of the technology startup accelerator Y Combinator.
Altman is also known as a major angel investor, having invested in such companies as Asana, Zenefits, Instacart, Soylent, and Airbnb.
Source: Celebrity Net Worth
OpenAI Key People
- Sam Altman - CEO
- Brad Lightcap - COO
- Greg Brockman - President, Chairman, & Co-Founder
- Ilya Sutskever - Co-Founder and Chief Scientist
- Wojciech Zaremba - Co-Founder
- Bob McGrew - VP of Research
- Peter Welinder - VP of Product & Partnerships
- Mira Murati - Chief Technology Officer
Source: Red Hat, Crunchbase, Linkedin 1, Linkedin 2, Linkedin 3
Is OpenAI a For-Profit Company?
Elon Musk and Sam Altman launched OpenAI as a nonprofit organization for artificial intelligence research; however, Musk eventually left the organization, and it is now officially a for-profit business.
Why did Elon Musk leave OpenAI?
Elon Musk decided to leave OpenAI, due to disagreements about the company's development.
Source: BNN Bloomberg
Does Elon Musk still own ChatGPT?
No, Elon Musk doesn't own a part of ChatGPT anymore.
As previously mentioned, Elon Musk has disowned OpenAI, which means that he doesn't own ChatGPT to this day.
OpenAI Competitors Analysis
The table below shows OpenAI's main competitors, as well as their location and annual revenue.